The Road Revisited

Follow Me Around The United States!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Price We Pay To Feel Cultured...

Anyone who has ever met me can probably tell that I am not Jamaican. This is mainly due to the fact that I am not Jamaican. However, I love all things Jamaican -- the food, the music, accent, the dredlocks, the big hoop earrings -- I love all that stuff. But today I found myself questioning just how far I'm willing to go to feel connected to it. And by "how far", I mean "how much".

There's a little Jamaican restaurant across the street from the office. I've been there a few times; the food is halfway decent and the music is always good. But the food isn't that great. And it's damn expensive. So I was left asking myself, after paying over $20 for Greg and I, "is it worth spending this much money to feel cool because I can say, 'I eat oxtail for lunch'?"

The answer is no, it's not.

If money were no object, it wouldn't be an issue. I could sit and pick apart curried chicken over rice and peas whenever I want and pat myself on the back for being so worldly. But money is an object, one I don't have very much of. So Jamaican food -- and feeling so cool just by virtue of putting it in my body -- will have to be a once-in-a-while treat while I spend my money on cheaper, more American food. Like Taco Bell.



--- Jessica Johnson is a regular contributor. She hates Taco Bell and also money in general.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home