The Road Revisited

Follow Me Around The United States!

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Why is it that the most profound things I've ever heard are in broken English?

I was talking with my friend Jose on Sunday morning, at the restaurant before we opened. Jose is El Salavadorian and has worked as a busboy at Red Hot and Blue for 14 years. He is always happy, laughing, and is very popular with the customers. They all want to talk to him. One of my favorite things about him is that he'll ask a question, like "Como esta, chiquita?", and no matter what I say, his answer is "Buena, chiquita!" Literally, there have been times when I've said, "Not that good. I think my parents are getting divorced. It's hard.". And instead of sympathy or a hug, I get a big smile and a cheerful "Buena, chiquita!" in response. And the absurdity of it makes me laugh, so I feel better.

So we were talking the other day and he asked me if I was scared to leave home. I told him I wasn't scared for my life but I was anxious about money. He put aside the jokes, the pretending-not-to-know-any-English act, and said "You know, I no having lot of money. But I happy, you know? Sometimes people having lot of money, they no happy. They have lot of thing, but no happy. It's okay just work and have little money, be happy."

I was so glad he opened up like that.
"You play soccer tonight, right?", I asked him.
"Oh, yes!"
"That makes you happy, huh?"
"Si!"
"I'm really going to miss you, Jose."
I got a big smile. And a cheerful "Buena, chiquita!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home