The Road Revisited

Follow Me Around The United States!

Monday, April 18, 2005

T-Minus 10 Days

I. Am. Petrified.

The first time I took off and moved across the country I didn't have a "real job", so there were no health benefits to give up, no dependable paycheck, no sense of security per se. This time around I'm realizing just how scary it is to find yourself without all of those things. It's a freeing feeling knowing that you don't have to answer to anyone, but it's terrifying knowing that YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. FOR BETTER OR WORSE. I guess I've been spoiled over the past year and this is my way of cutting the company apron strings.

I think going out on the road, camping and living within small means, is a great way to do that. I always find myself wanting to do it when I feel myself getting too comfortable or too vain or too caught up in the minutae of things. When I start to obsess about finding exactly the right shade of eye shadow, it's time to camp. When I get annoyed because there's no more free espresso at work, it's time to camp. When I throw a fit because my roots are showing, it is definitely time to camp. No makeup, no hair dryer, no stilettos (although I admit, I always bring 3 pairs of heels - one black, one red, and one pink - because a girl never knows when she may be invited out... I am such a girl it's disgusting), no bullshit. I like it like that. And when I come back I'm always more down-to-earth than when I started.

2 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JESS,
THERE IS NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OF.
YOU ARE INTELLIGENT. USE IT TO TO GUIDE YOURSELF, EITHER INTO OR OUT OF TROUBLE. YOU HAVE THE COMMON SENSE TO KNOW WHICH IS BEST.
IF YOU SHOULD HAPPEN TO SLIP IN THE SHOWER AND GET A KNOCK ON THE HEAD AND LOSE ALL OF YOUR SENSES, THEN COME HOME, BUT IN THE MEAN TIME, YOU ARE IN FOR A GREAT TRIP WITH LOTS OF CRAIC.
BELIEVE ME I KNOW.
AND SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE IN THE STICKS, AS YOU MEET THE TRUE PEOPLE OF ANY COUNTRY.
IF PEOPLE LOOK INSANE, THEY ARE USUALLY THE BEST TERM.
SIGNING OFF
REMEMBER, WHEN YOU'RE IN THE COUNTRYSIDE ON YOUR OWN, LOOK UP AT THE STARS AND PICK OUT THE SEVEN SISTERS.
SEE YOU SOON.

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you, Paddy.

*sparky*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home