The Road Revisited

Follow Me Around The United States!

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Not to sound like a quasi-trendy emo-indie freak calamity, but...

... it's been four hour with the new Deathcab For Cutie album, Plans, on repeat and the ghost of Ben Gibbard has wrenched my chest open and is now standing in front of me with my heart in his palm. He's got me, and I'll follow him anywhere. Is there anything he can't do?


Please buy this album, it's one of the best of the year.


Feeling very homesick for Ohio this morning. I haven't felt homesick for anyplace in a long time, and I forgot how hard it can be. I bet the trees are just gorgeous right now, the ones that line Columbus Avenue where all the old money houses are. Hopefully the wind off Lake Erie hasn't chilled things too much yet, because the last time I checked, no one had harvested the wild corn next to Panera Bread on Milan Road. If today is Thursday and it's 12:40, I'm guessing Alan's daughter is watching "Oobi" on the preschool channel and showed up wearing her navy sweater with the huge hood. Earl is at work at PetSmart, worrying about Danielle skipping school again, and Lisa is just about to get off her morning shift at the Veteran's Home. Sarah just woke up and is working on her myspace page. Kittykat is hiding under the house and Bacon is back at the petting zoo, curled up in a corner of the pen. Phil is probably at work at Ruby's, wishing he was off so he could take his son to Sheldon's Marsh to see the leaves before they're gone for the season. I'm wondering if he's still wearing Laura's little silver ring on his pinky finger. I'm wondering if it fell in the French Onion soup yet. Schavon is probably in the kitchen, yelling at Ramblin' Rachel to shut up about her boyfriend and help stock glasses. Jen Voegel's mom might bring in Baby Madison for everyone to coo over before the dinner rush. I'm guessing Jenny is hiding in the back, smoking a Monarch light and sitting on an empty Coors Light keg.

And I'm here in the office, trapped behind a desk with a quota to fill, Ben Gibbard singing about highways and Greyhound stations so close to my ear and it's everything I can do not to drive straight past the Chinese place on my lunch break, and just keep going, keep going til I see that sign for Rt. 250 off of I-80 and pull up in that town that I just left but never really left at all.

1 Comments:

At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im very friendsick for YOU
how i wish i could talk to you right now...
something with burky is really bothering me...and i could really use your perspective. cuz i know you wouldnt judge it or be biased.

just so you know, i cried the other day...
cuz i miss you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home